BetterLesson – Empowering teachers to drive their own professional learning
BetterLesson Launches PersonalizedPD Platform to Transform Teacher Learning
Their current economic and social challenges require nothing less than exceptional thinkers and creators. They need their students to be truly lit-up, ready to tackle evolving sets of novel challenges. Nothing less will do.
At BetterLesson, they believe that teachers can (and must) be this transformational force, enabling greatness for their students by modeling how to quickly and bravely Learn by Doing.
Unsurprisingly, the key to their model is personalization.
Without true personalization, there’s no way to bring genuine, active learning within reach for every teacher.
With this in mind, PersonalizedPD delivers just the right support for every teacher:
- Personal Learning Map: They work with teachers to develop fully individualized learning paths based on their needs and the needs of their students. They consider everything from the teachers’ experiences to their student demographics; from their self-assessed areas for growth to their school’s technology infrastructure.
- Just the Right Coach: Then deliberately match each teacher with a highly-skilled coach who has the experience and content expertise to provide exactly the right support to help teachers achieve their goals. They’re like the eHarmony of teacher development (but without the awkward coffee dates).
- Continuous Support – On-Demand: Through the wonder of online video conferencing, teachers and coaches spend the entire school year meeting biweekly. In these meetings, coaches serve as thought partners and sounding boards, cheerleaders and counselors – providing whatever the teacher may need in the moment.
- Simple Process for Learning by Doing: Together, they use simple TeachCycle (Teach, Measure, Learn) method of structured experimentation to determine what works for students as quickly as possible. Each meeting, teachers walk away energized and with specific actions to implement immediately in their classroom. The flexible nature of PersonalizedPD means that the focus of the work is always relevant.
- Handpicked Strategies: They’ve developed easy-to-use online tools that support teachers to access thousands of awesome strategies from Master Teachers across the country, measure the efficacy of these strategies in their own classrooms, and collect artifacts of student work. (Watch a quick screencast of the product.)
- A Rich, Useful Portfolio: By the end of the year, teachers have a snazzy portfolio detailing their amazing work and the effect each strategy had on student outcomes. What’s more, because each teacher’s PersonalizedPD work is tailored to meet that teacher’s individual needs and can be aligned to school initiatives, their portfolio directly supports their end-of-year evaluation and recertification needs.